The RE-LEI was inspired by a Tongan lei created by a staff member close to 4 years ago. The orignal lei was made from Norfolk Pine, ti leaves, red paper plates and cups, miscellaneous leaves and bark and red ribbon.
Materials for the RE-LEI were collected by another member of our staff on their regular bi-monthly beach clean ups.
1. Pink beach noodle- found at Ala Moana Beach Park. Used similarly to the Norfolk pine in the inspiration lei. This noodle had to be cut in sections and then sliced longitudinally into strips.
2. Blue gray fishing net- found at Ala Moana Beach Park. The netting was used as the back drop to the roses.
3. Fishing line- found at Ala Moana Beach Park. The fishing line was used to hold the roses together and to attach the fish net to the roses and the noodles.
4. Ross Dress for Less brown bag- found in house hold. The brown bag was cut in strips and crafted into rosettes.
5. Plastic brown grocery bag- found in household. The brown plastic bag was used to give the appearance of open petals.
6. Yellow plastic shopping bag- found in household. The yellow plastic bag was cut to strips and used as a ribbon and added as an accent color
7. Red ribbon: this item was the only non-reuse item.