The purpose of this design event is to bring together allied design professionals, artists and creative types in a fun competition to create works of beauty and art out of reusable materials that others might only see as rubbish. The entries should highlight creative use of materials, skillful execution, imaginative vision to create something delightful, conceptually interesting, thought provoking and, most of all, visually compelling. This is an opportunity for the design community to connect to the public via news media and public relations to bring attention to our cause of supporting the Landscape Architecture Development Fund at UH Foundation.
1. All materials used in the making of the RE-LEI must be post-consumer waste, except for string, wire or structural elements and paint, stain or other materials used in the preparation of the recycled material. Preference is given to RE-LEI using the most post-consumer waste possible. Any non-toxic recycled materials are welcomed.
2. The RE-LEI must be wholly designed, made and assembled by the entrant or team.
3. The submission should be inspired by the appearance of flower lei but we encourage you to use artistic license in your interpretation. Neck and head lei are acceptable, with preference for entries that can be worn as neck lei. To simplify comparisons in judging we kindly ask that no ankle or wrist lei be submitted.
4. The RE-LEI must be able to fit into the submission box (US Postal Service Large Flat Rate Box 12x12x5.5). Entries that are untied and coiled within the box are acceptable. If the artwork is wearable and meant to be tied during judging, please make note of that in your entry documentation. No oversized artwork that cannot fit within the submission box will be accepted.
5. Please use common sense with regard to safety (sharp or pointed items that may injure someone handling the piece after submission) and make the items as safe to handle and wear as you can. If you have sharp, pointed, or otherwise potentially injurious elements – PLEASE LABEL A WARNING on the entry box.
6. Make sure your RE-LEI can be displayed either hanging from a wall or flat.
7. To preserve anonymity, please avoid any information on the lei itself and/or in submission photographs (such as recognizable faces) that can be used to identify creator(s)
8. All entries must comply with local and federal regulations.
● Artistry (30%)
● Innovation (20%)
● Execution (20%)
● Fulfillment of Theme (15%)
● Creative Re-use of Materials (15%)
9. There will be Material Categories based on the materials included in your RE-LEI artwork. There will be awards given in each Category. Entrants shall choose and note in which category they wish their entries to be judged and you may ONLY CHOOSE ONE per submission. Teams or Individuals may enter more than one time, but the entries will be treated separately (separate fee, different ENTRY CODE and the judges will not be aware of any link between entries). If an entrant fails to identify a category, then the predominant material as determined by the competition organizer will be chosen as the entry category for the piece. Any lone entry will be moved to the next most appropriate Category.
Categories (Pick One)
● Metal or Glass
● Paper or Wood
● Electronic or Composite
● Mixed Media
● Ceramic or Concrete
10. PHOTOGRAPHS: Entrant is required to provide 5-10 photos of the finished product. Entrants are encouraged to make these photographs beautiful in their background and style. At least 1 photo should be a detail or macro photo of the RE-LEI artwork. The judges like to see photos of the post-consumer raw materials and the build in-progress. Please make sure there is good lighting (natural is best) and the photographs are sharply focused. Captions are permissible (maximum of 140 characters), but not required. Submit photos in jpg format, name each electronic file by your ENTRANT CODE then add “-1, -2, -3, -4, -5”. Submit captions that describe your photos in a MS Word format with not more than 140 characters for each caption and label with the corresponding file name of jpg. Please note that ALL PHOTOS SUBMITTED are considered the property of RE-LEI with full rights. These photos can and will be used in media, promotion, press and lots of other ways. (We want to show off your work and help raise money for the Landscape Architecture Development Fund.)
11. WRITTEN DESCRIPTION: Describe your RE-LEI artwork (max 250 words). List materials used (please specifically note any NEW materials that are not post-consumer). It’s up to you what you want to tell the judges, but you could include what inspired this creation, what you were hoping to convey, why you chose the materials you did, how you transformed them, or anything else you like. You are not required to convey the methods you used, but if there is something interesting that you want to explain to the judges here is the place to do it. Provide your description in MS Word format and label file name with ENTRANT CODE.
Please do not include any personally identifiable information on this entry form. Use only your individual or team ENTRANT CODE and use that code to label everything in your entry package.
INDIVIDUALS and TEAMS
Teams will be judged only compared to other Teams, likewise with individuals. College Students will be compared to adult entrants, and High School and younger will be compared to similar ages. There will be an award for an overall combined People’s Choice Award.
PRIZES AND AWARDS (click)
PANEL OF JUDGES
The panel of judges is comprised of a Landscape Architect, an Artist, and a leader in the field of Upcycling, Recylcing, or Reuse.
Submissions Due - Friday April 12, 2019 before 4:30pm
Drop off at Belt Collins Hawaii (Conference Room 2)
2153 N. King Street, 2nd Floor
Mailed in submissions must be DELIVERED by deadline, as judging is typically the following day.